Super Visa Insurance

Read time: 4 mins

Super Visa

The Canadian Super Visa (also known as the “parents/grandparents visa”) helps parents and grandparents of Canadian residents obtain health coverage during an extended stay in Canada. Under this program they may stay with relatives for up to five years at a time. This program also enables multiple entries into Canada for up to 10 years, giving you and your family the option of significant time together.

According to the Government of Canada website, applicants eligible for a Super Visa must:

  • be the parent or grandparent of a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada
  • have a signed letter from their child or grandchild who invites them to Canada which includes:
    • a promise of financial support for the length of their visit
    • the list and number of people in the household of this person
    • a copy of this person’s Canadian citizenship or permanent resident document
  • have medical insurance from a Canadian insurance company that is:
    • valid for at least 1 year from the date of entry
    • at least $100,000 CAD coverage
    • have proof that the medical insurance has been paid

Additionally, applicants must meet the following requirements:

  • apply for a super visa from outside Canada
  • be allowed to enter Canada
  • take an immigration medical exam
  • meet certain other conditions

Dependents cannot be included in this application. Please refer to the Government of Canada website for more information regarding these requirements. Emergency health insurance is now a necessary part of travelling to Canada on a Super Visa. Costs and coverage options vary depending upon the provider and plan. While this coverage may initially seem like a costly option, it is considerably less than paying out-of-pocket for unexpected medical expenses while visiting Canada.

Canadian Super Visas are specifically designed to meet the needs of Canadian citizens and permanent residents whose family members plan to stay for one or two years. If you or your relative do not qualify for a Super Visa, there are other options for travel visas and insurance policies for visitors to Canada. For those who travel to Canada for a temporary stay of less than six months, a passport or visitor visa may be appropriate. Those interested in sponsoring their parents or grandparents to live in Canada permanently may also be interested in the Parents and Grandparents Sponsorship Program (PGP).


DISCLAIMER: This guidance in this article is provided for informational and educational purposes only. It is intended to offer guidance regarding travel insurance and the benefits which may be available. It does not guarantee coverage for any traveller. The information in this article reflects the most up-to-date information available at the time of publication. If you have questions regarding specific coverage details or available travel insurance plans, please contact our licensed customer care team.